Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Home

For the first time in a long time, maybe ever, I feel very happy with where I live. Since the day we got married (and probably even before) I continually asked Shon if we could move to North Carolina, where I grew up. Part of the desire was to have the familiarity of home, part of it, if I'm being honest, was that houses were SO much cheaper down there and I knew we could get much more house for the money. We tried to move, but nothing ever worked out. 

Now I find myself living in Northern Virginia. I have the perfect husband, son, and dog. And over the past year and a half since we moved in, I've discovered that I have my dream house. Houses up here are outrageously priced. We bought ours for a steal, a happy accident helped along by the fact that we bought at the perfect time in the market and by the fact that the sellers were itching to move (back to North Carolina, by coincidence.)

We were able to purchase a house that was the perfect size for us, on half an acre with tons of open community land surrounding us, and we have the opportunity to keep a horse in our community barn if we want. It gives us plenty of space to grow, space to play baseball and/or fetch, and space to explore. It is impossible to find half an acre+ up here in a reasonable price range so we were very fortunate.

And our house, oh do I love our house. Sure there are plenty of upgrades we'd like to do to it, but I can honestly say it is my dream house and it is all we'll ever need.

I never imagined that I'd stop pining for North Carolina, but I can honestly say I am happy to be a Virginian.

1 comment:

  1. And Daddy and I are thrilled to have you sticking around close by. We love you.
    Love,
    Mom/Janet/Nana

    ReplyDelete